Jeffrey Preston Bezos (born January 12, 1964) is an American internet entrepreneur, industrialist, media proprietor, and investor. He is the founder and CEO of the multi-national technology company Amazon. He is the richest person in the world according to the Forbes Real-Time Billionaires ranking.
Born in Albuquerque and raised in Houston and later Miami, Bezos graduated from Princeton University in 1986. He holds a degree in electrical engineering and computer science. He worked on Wall Street in a variety of related fields from 1986 to early 1994. Bezos founded Amazon in late 1994, on a cross-country road trip from New York City to Seattle. The company began as an online bookstore and has since expanded to a wide variety of other e-commerce products and services, including video and audio streaming, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence. It is currently the world's largest online sales company, the largest Internet company by revenue, and the world's largest provider of virtual assistants and cloud infrastructure services through its Amazon Web Services branch.
Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico on January 12, 1964, the son of Jacklyn (née Gise) and Theodore Jørgensen. His biological great-grandfather John Jørgensen immigrated to the U.S. from Holbæk in the Zealand region of Denmark in the late 19th century. At the time of his birth, his mother was a 17-year-old high school student and his father was 19. After completing high school despite challenging conditions, Jacklyn attended night school while bringing baby Jeff along. After his parents divorced, his mother married Cuban immigrant Miguel "Mike" Bezos in April 1968. Shortly after the wedding, Mike adopted four-year-old Jorgensen, whose surname was then changed to Bezos. The family moved to Houston, Texas, where Mike worked as an engineer for Exxon after he received a degree from the University of New Mexico. Bezos attended River Oaks Elementary School in Houston from fourth to sixth grade. Bezos's maternal grandfather was Lawrence Preston Gise, a regional director of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) in Albuquerque. Gise retired early to his family's ranch near Cotulla, Texas, where Bezos would spend many summers in his youth. Bezos would later purchase this ranch and expand it from 25,000 acres (10,117 ha) to 300,000 acres (121,406 ha). His maternal grandmother was Mattie Louise Gise (née Strait), through whom he is a cousin of country singer George Strait.
After Bezos graduated from Princeton University in 1986, he was offered jobs at Intel, Bell Labs, and Andersen Consulting, among others. He first worked at Fitel, a fintech telecommunications start-up, where he was tasked with building a network for international trade. Bezos was promoted to head of development and director of customer service thereafter. He transitioned into the banking industry when he became a product manager at Bankers Trust. He worked there from 1988 to 1990. He then joined D. E. Shaw & Co, a newly founded hedge fund with a strong emphasis on mathematical modelling in 1990 and worked there until 1994. Bezos became D. E. Shaw's fourth senior vice-president at the age of 30.
- . [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomberg_L.P. Bloomberg. Archived from the original on March 3, 2021. Retrieved March 5, 2021.
- Stone, Brad (February 2, 2021). . [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomberg_Media Bloomberg Media. Archived from the original on February 3, 2021. Retrieved February 4, 2021.
- . [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washington_Post The Washington Post. 2009. Archived from the original on January 10, 2019. Retrieved August 17, 2013.; and Robinson (2010), p. 7.
- . [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Press_International United Press International. January 12, 2020. Archived from the original on January 13, 2020. Retrieved June 27, 2020.
… Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos in 1964 (age 56)
- . NBC News. February 2, 2021.
- [https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/ . Forbes. Retrieved February 16,2021.
- . Analytics Insight. November 10, 2019. [https://web.archive.org/web/20191212144907/https://www.analyticsinsight.net/unveiling-business-strategy-amazon21065-2/ Archived from the original on December 12, 2019. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- Sheetz, Michael (January 23, 2019). . [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNBC CNBC. Archived from the original on November 7, 2019. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- . [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Irish_Times The Irish Times. March 21, 2013. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- . Forbes. 2019. [https://web.archive.org/web/20190304180154/https://www.forbes.com/sites/kerryadolan/2019/03/04/this-is-the-richest-person-in-the-world/ Archived from the original on March 4, 2019. Retrieved March 19, 2019.